Ve.CAN Bus SolarChargers – Interfacing for up to 25 charge controllers
Ve.CAN Bus SolarChargers adding to Victron’s comprehensive range of Solar Charge Controllers
, we can now announce new models with VE.Can connectivity. These currently include the SmartSolar MPPT 150/70 & 150/100 VE.Can
with auto-select voltage for systems of 12, 24, 36 and 48 Volts.
These new models are replacements for the BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 & 150/85 CAN-bus generation.
The new VE.Can 150/70 and 150/100 models are now in stock and available for delivery. Further models will follow and are detailed later in this blog. Dealers can check availability and stock levels via E-Order.
With the VE.Can interface up to 25 Charge Controllers can be daisy-chained and connected to a Color Control GX
or other GX device
. Each controller can be monitored individually, for example on a Color Control GX and on the VRM website
VE.Direct and Bluetooth data communication are also features of these controllers.
To learn more about data communication such as VE.Can – see the PDF ‘Data communication with Victron Energy products’, in our Whitepapers
section of the main website.
Comparison to the previous BlueSolar MPPT CAN-bus generation
- Improved: each charger is displayed individually on a GX Device and on the VRM Portal; whereas with the previous models all units were operating synchronously and were seen as one; which made it impossible to see individual PV string performance.
- Improved: supports ESS and control by Intelligent (canbus) batteries, just like today’s VE.Direct models; which was not possible with the previous generation. Note that this will require Venus OS v2.40, which is not yet released yet but is expected in October.
- Synchronisation: the mechanism to operate synchronously is the same as before: equal device instances enables synchronised charging. Since they are all configured with Device instance 0 out of the box; they’ll automatically start synchronising as soon as you connect them together with the network cable.
Note: These new models cannot synchronise with the previous generation. They can of course still be used together in the same system; but will then operate autonomously.
Future developments & firmware
In addition to these new 150V, 70 & 100A models, there will also be a 150V, 85A plus 250V, 70A & 100A models. They are expected by the end of this year.
Furthermore some special and not commonly used features have not yet been released, but will come later as a firmware update. These are the virtual load output, street light, alternate TX/RX pin functions and the PAYG features.
Key product features & similarities
Ve.CAN Bus SolarChargers Key features are listed below, yet these new VE.Can SmartSolar MPPTs are also very similar to the existing range of SmartSolar Chargers with a VE.Direct port; in that the hardware design is based on that reliable and proven range, they can be configured with the VictronConnect app
and they support all the exact same charger settings and options.
- Ultra-fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT)
- Advanced Maximum Power Point Detection in case of partial shading condition
- Outstanding conversion efficiency
- Flexible charge algorithm
- Extensive electronic protection
- Bluetooth Smart built-in
- Internal temperature sensor and optional Smart Battery Sense
- VE.Can: the multiple controller solution
- VE.Direct or VE.Can
- Remote on-off
- Programmable relay
- Optional: SmartSolar pluggable LCD display
To read more about the features listed above, see the Victron product page
and PDF datasheet. The downloads section in that page includes all the usual certificates, product dimensions, photos, manuals and system schematics
If you are considering building a system and need technical support please contact our office on 01452 699300